[sane-devel] Umax Astra 3400

Fri, 20 Dec 2002 12:15:22 +0100

[cc back to the list]

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 09:08:00PM -0600, Kiran wrote:
> It is seen on the USB bus but not identified by 'scanimage -L' or
> 'sane-find-scanner -f' as a scanner (has its doubts). Although the usb
> info says scanner right there.

What do you mean by "has it doubts". Is it found by sane-find-scanner
or is it not found? If it prints something like that:
found USB scanner (vendor=0x055f, product=0x0219) at /dev/usb/scanner

and the vendor- and product ids are correct than it's detected
correctly.

> > rmmod scanner
> > modprobe scanner vendor=0x0001 producr=0x0002
>
> This part went well, but it still can't find the device.

That should be "product" not "producr" but I guess you found out.
Please show us the output of cat /proc/bus/usb/devices if the scanner
was not detected by sane-find-scanner.

> [plustek] usbDev_open(/dev/usb/scanner0,)
> [plustek] open failed: -1

Either /dev/usb/scanner0 doesn't exist or it doesn't represent your
scanner.

> It seems to me that this is an issue of not getting a device name
> assigned or at least not publishing it.

I guess your kernel scanner driver just has not detected the scanner.
What is in syslog when you do the above mentioned rmmod/modprobe
commands?