[sane-devel] [Q] net scan (in)compatibility

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf@epkowa.co.jp
26 Dec 2002 14:48:02 +0900

Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 09:42:21AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> > I am looking for information about version (in)compatibilities when
> > scanning over the net.  I've searched the mailing archives, but did
> > not find what I was looking for, so ...
>
> The network part of the SANE standard defines the protocol version
> (build version number), which is increased when an incompatible change
> of the protocol is done.
>
> > Basically, I would like to know whether there are known problems when
> > scanning from a client using one version of sane when the scan server
> > uses another version of sane(d).  In other words, how intercompatible
> > are the net meta-backend and saned with respect to their version (and
> > hosting OS)?
>
> They should be compatible if they use the same major version
> (currently 1) and the same net protocol version (currently 3).
> The net backend can "speak" protocol version 2 and 3, so there
> shouldn't be any incompatibilities in recent SANE versions.
>
> Recent as in SANE package version 1.00 (11/1998) and newer. I think
> even sane-0.6 (5/1997) should work (protocol version 2), but I haven't
> tried.

This was just the kind of info I was looking for, thanks!

> The compatibility should not depend on the host os or platform but
> there have been issues with the byte order of 16 bit scans which have
> been fixed in SANE 1.0.8.

And this little tid-bit is also much appreciated.

It's not that I worry about the compatibility implications, but our QA
department is bugging me with these things.

Again, plenty thanks!
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, ECS
Penguin's lib!       -- I hack, therefore I am --               LPIC-2