[sane-devel] xsane and xscanimage crash system

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:26:47 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:46:03PM -0500, Scott Savarese wrote:
> When I am logged in as a normal (non-root) user xsane and xscanimage will
> crash (freeze) the system. I am unable to ctrl-alt-backspace,
> ctrl-alt-delete, ctrl-alt-f?, and do anything. I am unable to test whether
> the entire system is frozen or if it is just my console.

Just some general remarks: The symptoms you describe are usually cause
by either hardware problems or kernel bugs, not by userspace problems.
Maybe you can see a kernel OOPS if you use scanimage in a console (not
X).

> I am using the latest downloadable sane and xsane downloads (versions
> 1.0.9 and 0.90) on an HP PSC 2210. I downloaded the latest package from
> hpoj.sourceforge.net and have that installed. I am running kernel 2.4.20

Parport, USB, JetDirect?

> This doesn't happen when i am root, nor when I try and run strace to see
> what is going on.

Maybe that's a timing issue.