[sane-devel] sanei_config_attach_matching_devices() for USB

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 18:06:34 +0000

> Can you explain why the current approach doesn't work with devfs? If
> the files /dev/usb/scanner etc. doesn't exist we could also use other
> names. But maybe I don't understand the problem because I haven't ever
> used devfs :-)

OK, it doesn't work by scanning /proc/whatever for USB scanners and
mapping them to device files. This is because the scanner module will
find a scanner, assign a major/minor number to it, but without devfs,
it will have no idea what device files have these major/minor
number. You can scan all know device files for the major/minor
numbers, but that isn't really elegant.

Just to make things clear, I am not talking about checking whether or
not a device is USB, I'm concerned about scanimage -L in the first
place, that is finding all USB scanners connected to the computer.

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net
    www:    http://andras.webhop.org/