[sane-devel] AGFA SnapScan e20: It's not in the scanimage list and don't work.

Fri, 8 Feb 2002 23:01:36 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 09:05:04PM +0100, Oliver Schwartz wrote:
> > checking /dev/usbscanner... open ok, but vendor and product could NOT be
> > identified sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and
> > product) at device /dev/usbscanner sane-find-scanner: checking
> > /dev/usbscanner0... failed to open (status 4)
>
> > Why does sane-find-scanner
> > find a scanner at /dev/usbscanner ?
> >  If I delete this device, that could resolve my problem ???
>
> This is strange indeed. If /dev/usbscanner exists it should have been created
> as the same device node as /dev/usb/scanner0, i.e. it should have 180, 48 as
> major and minor device number. Opening /dev/usbscanner than should give you
> the same result as /dev/usb/scanner0.

If anyone just does a "touch /dev/usbscanner" for any reason, this
would be the result. It can be any regular file or a chararcter device
with wrong major/minor numbers so open works but ioctl fails.

> I suggest you start from scratch. Unset SANE_CONFIG_DIR (it defaults to
> /usr/local/etc/sane.d, which is just fine) and possibly also
> SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE (I never tested it). Rebuild and reinstall.

I didn't read the complete emails so I may be wrong here: These are
environment variables used at run-time so at least you don't need to
rebuild/reinstall for this reason. Just unset them and retry.

SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE is used by the frontends to preset the device (see
e.g. man xscanimage).

SANE_CONFIG_DIR is a bit of magic from sanei/sanei_config.c and
automatically used by every backend with sanei_config_open.

And a "ls -l /dev/usbscanner" would be interesting.