[sane-devel] AGFA SnapScan e20: It's not in the scanimage list and don't work.

Carlos M. Buj Ribas karlosbuj@terra.es
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 11:36:08 +0100

On Saturday 09 February 2002 12:26 am, Philippe Reis wrote:

Hi,

the Scanner must work!!. I use the same and is working perfectly.

My success history after checking and asking quite a lot...

I installed the last sane package, the 1.0.7 and just the backends.

You need also the package usbmgr, you can get it from here:
http://www.wondernetworkresources.com/staff/shuu/linux/usbmgr/#GET_USBMGR

I installed the version 0.4.8.1

You need as well the file Snape20.bin and agfafirm. Snape20.bin you can find
in the CD that comes with the Scanner and agfafirm can find here:
http://snapscan.sourceforge.net/agfafirm  .

Ok, now comes the installation:

1. Remove the old sane packages. Remove /dev/scanner and /dev/usbscanner
2. Install the new ones;  cd sane-x.x.x; ./configure; make; make install
3. Install the usbmgr
4. Copy the packages Snape20.bin and agfafirm in the directory
/usr/local/bin/agfa or where you want, I just made like this... The files
must have execute permissions.
5. Create the device: mknod /dev/usbscanner c 180 48
6. Modify the following file: /etc/modules.conf  add the following lines:

options scanner vendor=0x6bd product=0x2091
post-install scanner /usr/local/bin/agfa/agfafirm /dev/usbscanner
/usr/local/bin/agfa/Snape20.bin  ==========> the last two lines are just one
line!!!

7. Modify the file /usr/local/etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf   It must look like
this:
# If not automatically found from above, then you may manually specify
# a device name.

# For USB devices, make sure that the name contains 'usb' somewhere, as in
# '/dev/usbscanner' or '/dev/usb/scanner0'. Do not use a link
# from /dev/scanner to your USB device.
# For SCSI, use the generic device (e.g. /dev/sg0 in Linux).

#/dev/sg0
/dev/usbscanner

# Change to the fully qualified filename of your firmware file, if
# firmware upload is needed by the scanner
firmware /usr/local/bin/agfa/Snape20.bin

8. Reboot the system. If everything is OK when you restart the system the
Scanner must begin to make something...
9. execute sane-find-scanner, the result must be something like this:
karlosbuj@linux:/usr/local/etc/sane.d> sane-find-scanner
# Note that sane-find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
# to a SCSI bus and some scanners that are connected to the Universal
# Serial Bus (USB) depending on your OS. It will even find scanners
# that are not supported at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that
# is connected to a parallel or proprietary port.

# You may want to run this program as super-user to find all devices.
# Once you found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access
# permissions as necessary.
sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x06bd, product = 0x2091) at
device /dev/usbscanner

11. Now you can make a test:
scanimage -d snapscan:/dev/usbscanner >test.pnm

But the best is to try xscanimage or kooka.

Bye