[sane-devel] permanent calibration files

Matthew Duggan stauff@guarana.org
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 22:06:04 +1100

Hi,

> Just a warning. I had the same problem. But my scanner has some
problems with
> certain calibration values. I once forgot to calculate the data and
used
> undefined memory. As a result the scanner became completely unusable.
The
> only way to fix it was to run the windows driver.
> What I want to say: If the data is writable for all users you could
have a
> really big security problem - it could damage your hardware. I think
the only
> secure way then is to use saned or recalculate it every time.

Interesting point Andre, I'd never really considered that.  Thankfully
if the 630U is anything like the 630P then it's all emulated in software
anyway (well, there may be a way to store the values into the scanner,
but we never worked out what it was!), so at worst you'll have ugly
pictures coming out until someone recalibrates.

Cheers,

- Matthew Duggan
http://canon-fb330p.sourceforge.net/