[sane-devel] xsane zoom control

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 21:14:15 +0000

> > My suggestion (Henning, Oliver): can you create a new flag
> > SANE_CAP_LOGARITHMIC, which, when set, would indicate to the frontend
> > that the parameter is to be handled on a logarithmic scale? I has to
> > be clarified what the step size means in this case, whether it is a
> > multiplier (i.e. >1) or a step in the (natural or base-10) logarithm.
>
> 1) This is a frontend option and not a backend option, so this would
> not change anything.

Ah, sorry, I must have had too much tea today.

> 2) It is a frontend issue, especally for graphical frontends, so
> I think it does not make much sense if the backend defines on option
> as logarithmic range.

There are options that are best dealt with in a logarithmic way,
whereas others make sense as linear options. This of course only makes
a difference for graphical frontends, as you said. But only the
backend knows whether the option is better handled in a linear or
logarithmic way. For example, I would like to have an exposure time
option in coolscan2, which had better be logarithmic.

> 3) I do not know if there is a possibilty to tell gtk to display a slider
> in a logarithmic way.

That can be a problem, of course.

Anyway, back to the original request, I suggest (for xsane only) a
spinbutton-type setting rather than having sliders for such things as
magnification.

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net