[sane-devel] Hmm, why does sane-find-scanner think I have a USB scanner?

paul beard paulbeard@mac.com
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 14:41:57 -0800

it isn't USB:

uk0 at scsibus0 target 2 lun 0: <UMAX, Astra 1200S, V2.7> SCSI2
6/scanner fixed

If I specify the device (/dev/scanner) I get this result.

[...-backends/work/sane-backends-1.0.7/tools]# sane-find-scanner
/dev/scanner
# Note that sane-find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
# to a SCSI bus and some scanners that are connected to the Universal
# Serial Bus (USB) depending on your OS. It will even find scanners
# that are not supported at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that
# is connected to a parallel or proprietary port.

sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner "  " at device /dev/scanner
sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product)
at device /dev/scanner

# `UNKNOWN vendor and product' means that there seems to be a scanner
# at this device file but the vendor and product ids couldn't be
# identified. Currently identification only works with Linux versions

this also happens when I use the verbose flag, whether or not I
specify the device. if I do neither, I just get the unidentifiable
scsi scanner message.