[sane-devel] what am I doing wrong on netbsd/macppc with sane 1.0.7??

Sun, 17 Feb 2002 18:39:35 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 04:39:20PM -0800, paul beard wrote:
> [/home/paul]# sane-find-scanner
[...]
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner "  " at device /dev/ss0
>
> [/home/paul]# dmesg | grep ss0
> ss0 at scsibus0 target 2 lun 0: <UMAX, Astra 1200S, V2.7> SCSI2
> 6/scanner fixed

I have just tried SANE 1.0.7 on my NetBSD 1.5.1 (GENERIC) i386 with
egcs 1.1.2. I configured with --disable-shared because of the
mentioned problems with shared libs. No problems with compilation and
installation.

I'm using a Mustek ScanExpress 12000 SP Plus plugged into an Adaptec
2940.

dmesg yields in:
ss0 at scsibus0 target 5 lun 0: <SCANNER, , V101> SCSI1 6/scanner fixed

and sane-find-scanner reports it at /dev/ss0.

So I can't find a problem here, but it's a different platform and
scanner.

The problem with ss0/uk0 you talked about is on OpenBSD, nor FreeBSD.
On OpenBSD, you can only use the uk0 devices, ss0 won't work. However,
I never had such problems on NetBSD.

I have no idea why your scanner can't be seen by SANE (but the cabling
issues someone mentioned). Is there any way to check for SCSI devices
during the runtime on NetBSD? A SCSI test program or something that
prints a list of devices? So you could find out if it's a SANE problem
or a kernel/hardware failure.