[sane-devel] Status PrimeFilm 1800u/Microtek FilmScan35

Matthias Prinke matthias.prinke@surfeu.de
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 21:21:31 +0100

Hello,

I would like to know the status of developing a sane-backend for the
Pacific Image Electronics "PrimeFilm 1800u".

This device (film/slide-scanner with USB interface) is apparently also
sold as "Microtek FilmScan35", "Mediax Diascanner 1800 dpi" and
"Reflecta i-scan 1800". (the latter two maybe only in Germany)

Has anybody already started devolopment? Did anybody get the necessary
API-documentation from the manufacturer? What is your experience with
technical support from PIE?

I have gathered any information I could get hold of regarding USB in
general, the Linux USB implementation and the hardware (data sheets,
schematics, ...). The only missing piece is the programming specification.

I already tried sniff-usb, but I got the impression that the TWAIN
driver bypasses some parts of the Win USB stack: I got a trace of the
enumeration process, but I didn't get anything during calibration,
preview and scanning.

I would just like to know what has already been done before I try to
contact Pacific Image Electronics.

Best regards,

Matthias Prinke