[sane-devel] FW: Sus3 7.3, Sane 1.05, HP5300C

Rene Rebe rene.rebe@gmx.net
Tue Feb 19 01:25:24 GMT 2002

Hi.

The HP 5300 is an Avision OEM scanner labeled by HP.

This is the Avision backend page:
  http://drocklinux.dyndns.org/rene/avision/index.html

Latest code can be obtained from:
  http://www.rocklinux.org/people/rene/sane/

The HP 5300 does now work with SANE/Avision. I still try to track
problems with the HP 5370 and HP 7400 - and with the
color-calibration.

To use the scanner you need the the HP53xx support in the kernel - or
as module. The module will be called "hpusbscsi".

Make sure your USB subsystem is working and you have SCSI generic
support and hpusbscsi.

On: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 04:05:02 -0800,
    "Art Fore" <art_fore@3mts.com> wrote:

> On http://www.neatech.nl/oss/HP5300C/ they talk about a usb-scsi module.
It is called hpusbscsi. The HP53xx support you allready found.
> This does not show up in my kernel config, however, I have an hp53xx module.
This is the right one.
> There is also mention of a patch for the avision driver. Is this patch still
> applicable or is it by this time already built in?
The best is to use the latest code - mentioned above.
> Should the scsi generic be as a module or compiled into the kernel?
> Should the hp53xx module be compiled into the kernel or as a module?

As usual, the linux kernel doesn't care whether you have it as module
or in the kernel. But when you have modules make sure they are loaded
"modprobe hpusbscsi". The scsi generic module is called "sg".

You also need support for the USB-Controler. Wether OHCI or UHCI.

> Right now I have both compiled into the kernel and the cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> does not work where it worked before and I would like to know what is the
> right way. On one of the web articles, it said the scsi generic should be
> compiled into the kernel, not as a module and the hp53xx should be as a
> module, but that did not work either?

For a test compile all into the kernel. Do not foget OHCI or UHCI
support (for the system controler).

You should get somthing like this in your system log or on the screen
(I do not know SuSE ...):

usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xe1960000, IRQ 10
usb-ohci.c: usb-00:02.3, Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 7001 (#2)
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 3 ports detected
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:02.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 5 with 00:0f.0
usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xe1962000, IRQ 5
usb-ohci.c: usb-00:02.2, Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 7001
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 3 ports detected

Sorry for the short answer - but currently I'm in a hurry ...

k33p h4ck1n6
  René

--
René Rebe (Registered Linux user: #248718 <http://counter.li.org>)