[sane-devel] FW: Sus3 7.3, Sane 1.05, HP5300C

Rene Rebe rene.rebe@gmx.net
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 08:10:13 +0100 (CET)

Hi.

On: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 08:30:42 -0800,
    "Art Fore" <art_fore@3mts.com> wrote:
> Hi Rene
>
> Nice website you have. Looks like you have alot to keep you busy.

Thanks. Yes - I have far too much things to keep me busy :-(

> Your info helped a great deal. Have the modules you mentioned. It looks like
> >from the log file that the scanner is being checked but cannot find a driver
In which log file did you take a look?
> for it. This is probably because of the avision not being compiled for the
> HP5300C. I noticed you have the avision.c and a patch. Being very new to
> linux, I do have one more question though. How do you apply the patch and
> compile the avision?

My releases are source-code releases. So you need the SANE source-code
(for example from http://panda.mostang.com/sane/ - but the files are
currently missing on the server - I check this). Then copy the
avision.h and avision.c into the sane-backends-1.0.7/backend directory.

Then you have to compile the source-code into a binary. With most
packages this is pretty easy, today. Simply execeutre the "configure"
script and then "make" and "make install"

Example:
./configure
make
make install

The "make install" must be done as root - since it installs files into
your system.

The configure script can get aditional arguments to modfiy the build.

For example with:
./configure --prefix=/usr

You tell configure to install the files into "/usr" the default is
"/usr/local"

There are many other switches, too. You might simply speciy NO
parameters. But then you have SANE two times in your system. Once the
SuSE original and the freshly installed source. Normally this is no
problem, because the later is used. But you have to take care that
e.g. the config files are in different places in contrast to the onces
listed in the SuSE maual. (Sorry that I can not tell you where the
files are in SuSE - I do not use it anymore. I'm working on another
dist called ROCK Linux: www.rocklinux.org ...).

Feel free to ask when you get into problems. Bulidiing from source it
not that easy - I know. Especially when you do this for your first
time in live ...

btw. I just release a new snapshot on:
http://www.rocklinux.org/people/rene/sane/

> Art
>
> PS Spent 9 1/2 years in Germany, most of it near Muenchen. Visited Berlin a
> number of times on business. Berlin is my favorite city outside of Muenchen
> in Germany. It has been about 17 years since I was in Berlin, guess it has
> changed considerable in that amount of time from what I hear.

Cool! - From my homepage you might know that I'm only 21. I'm living
in Berlin for some month now. Before I moved to Berlin I lived in the
village before Hannover.

I visited Berlin first in 1995. So I only saw the last years. But you
are righr. When you compare Berlin today and Berlin before "der Wende"
or "der Wiedervereinigung" Berlin has changed a lot! I was (oh no! it
stil is) a big "building site" especially arround the "Potsdammer
Platz" but also in many places. It is quite nice - also it is the
first time I live in a city - and I like the nature, too!

I need some sleep! - Till the next mail.
  René

--
René Rebe (Registered Linux user: #248718 <http://counter.li.org>)

eMail:    rene.rebe@gmx.net