[sane-devel] HP ScanJet 5S

Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:28:09 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:49:37AM +0300, Max Vorobiev wrote:
> How can I check for sucessful compilations for all SANE-supported platforms?

You probably can't :-) The idea is to avoid Linux- and gcc-specific
code.

> I've access only to Linux boxes and Sun Solaris on SPARC machines
> (they do not even have PC-style parport).

That's more than most of the other developers have.

> Is there are any possibility for test?

I can test on FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD (everything i386), AIX, Solaris
and Irix when I get some time.

> Most important: current version of this backend will work _ONLY_ under
> Linux - since it depends on custom linux loadable kernel module. Is it cause
> do not include backend to official SANE version?

No, that's not a problem. It should compile on every platform. No need
to really work. If it just doesn't find a scanner, that's ok. If it
really can't be compiled on anything other but Linux, a test for
configure must be included.

> For now (as I know) sanei_parport still not implemented - how can I
> make my code totally independent?

I don't like any new inb/outb and similar things in backends. If you
only access a device file, I don't see any problem.

Concerning sanei_parport: As I said before, this sounds nice but
nobody has yet implemented this or included it into SANE.