[sane-devel] Sane is definately not Scanner Access Now Easy

Simon Krix kinsei@dingoblue.net.au
23 Feb 2002 11:18:31 +1100

> 3. How did the above-mentioned article get written? The aforesaid mp3
> player is supposed to be designed for Windows98 and have drivers provided,
> but IT WOULD NOT WORK IN WINDOWS98! Therefore, it should be added to what
> is quoted here, that sometimes the shoe is on the other foot, and hardware
> which is claimed by the manufacturer to be good for Windows when used as
> prescribed, will not work at all unless one troubles oneself to run it in
> Linux, which occasionally is quite easy. I would bet that this is true
> about scanners, too, as well as portable mp3 players.

That is also exactly what happened to me; If my Canon scanner had worked
in Windows as it's meant to, I probably would still be booting into
Windows to scan. CanoCraft, the scanning utility, just causes my machine
to hang. So, I decided to try making a linux driver (which is getting
pretty stable these days!). I guess it all comes down to itch-scratching
in the end.

-Simon

--
kinsei@dingoblue.net.au