[sane-devel] hp5300c usb problem

Rene Rebe rene.rebe@gmx.net
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:37:15 +0100 (CET)

Hi.

On: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:34:11 +0100,
    Stefan Kornhuber <stefan@kornhuber.com> wrote:
> hi!
>
> I have the usb scanner hp5300c, kernel 2.4.16 and sane 1.0.7 (back- and
> frontend)
>
> the output of find-scanner is
> # Note that find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
> # to a SCSI bus.  It will even find scanners that are not supported
> # at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that is connected to a
> # parallel, USB or other non-SCSI port.
>
> find-scanner: found scanner "HP ScanJet 5370C 6.00" at device /dev/scanner
> find-scanner: found scanner "HP ScanJet 5370C 6.00" at device /dev/sg2

USB and the hpusbscsi SCSI emulation seem to work properly. Good.

> the output of scanimage -L is
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

Your scanner is partially supported by the avision backend. In the
1.0.7 you have to enable the HP USB support in the backend by
specifiing optionb "allow-usb" in the
$instll-prefix/etx/sane.d/avision.conf file. This is because of the
alpha-state of the code. (For the exact spelling of the option you
might take a look in the sane-avision man-page ...)

For more info see:
http://drocklinux.dyndns.org/rene/avision

and for the latest code:
http://www.rocklinux.org/people/rene/sane

I recommend the latest source from the side - which should work quite
well for you scanner - and you do not need the allow-usb option
anymore ...

> I use the doku of http://httpd.chello.nl/~j.schoone/scanning.html.
Do not know this doc.

> But now I don't know, what I should do.