[sane-devel] SCSI issues persist: open to suggestions

paul beard paulbeard@mac.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:15:36 -0800

Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> It appear that I have some similar problems: sane-find-scanner find my
> UMAX Astra 1220S but xcanimage is unable to get even a preview.
>
> On my side I have a little clue about what is happening: I have a 2.2.x
> PowerPC kernel and use the Debian sid version of Sane that I suspect
> build for 2.4.x kernel.
>
> I will first rebuild a 2.4 kernel before thinking about reporting a bug

what hardware do you have? I have a 9500 and the current thinking
is that since there are two buses, the external one may have some
built-in "idiot-proofing" for stability and usability at the
expense of speed and possibly compliance with standards. After
applying several patches supplied by Abel Deuring, we could see
the scanner and even run xsane but I could never get a preview and
the scanner would reset itself while scanning, requiring it to be
power-cycled before subsequent uses.

Let me know how your new kernel works for you and perhaps it may
convince me to switch back to linux. This wouldn't be the first
thing linux has gotten right where netbsd has stumbled.