[sane-devel] SCSI issues persist: open to suggestions

Hubert Figuiere hfiguiere@teaser.fr
26 Feb 2002 22:34:40 +0100

--=-6KZgkx3KsbvMThCzLB0P

On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 22:15, paul beard wrote:
>=20
>=20
> Hubert Figuiere wrote:
>=20
> >=20
> > It appear that I have some similar problems: sane-find-scanner find my
> > UMAX Astra 1220S but xcanimage is unable to get even a preview.
> >=20
> > On my side I have a little clue about what is happening: I have a 2.2.x
> > PowerPC kernel and use the Debian sid version of Sane that I suspect
> > build for 2.4.x kernel.
> >=20
> > I will first rebuild a 2.4 kernel before thinking about reporting a bug
>=20
>=20
> what hardware do you have? I have a 9500 and the current thinking=20
> is that since there are two buses, the external one may have some=20
> built-in "idiot-proofing" for stability and usability at the=20
> expense of speed and possibly compliance with standards. After=20
> applying several patches supplied by Abel Deuring, we could see=20
> the scanner and even run xsane but I could never get a preview and=20
> the scanner would reset itself while scanning, requiring it to be=20
> power-cycled before subsequent uses.
>=20
> Let me know how your new kernel works for you and perhaps it may=20
> convince me to switch back to linux. This wouldn't be the first=20
> thing linux has gotten right where netbsd has stumbled.

Mine is even weirder: a PowerCenter Pro 240 (from PowerComputing). Think
of a 7300 with a little hacks. And I have 2 SCSI controller: the
built-in NCR based and the AHA 2930-B that works well. My scanner in on
the internal SCSI while the boot disk is on the Adaptec card.

Both bus works fine. Note that the clue about Linux kernel version is
not an idiot remark: I had to keep an old "cdrecord" binary that was
compatible with kernel 2.2.

Hub

--=-6KZgkx3KsbvMThCzLB0P

--=-6KZgkx3KsbvMThCzLB0P--