[sane-devel] Niash (USB) backend problem (devfs, scanner.o and libusb don't mix well)

Ricardo Martins thecrown at softhome.net
Tue Feb 5 02:10:18 GMT 2002

We're are facing a small problem when using our NIASH backend with SANE
1.0.7, Devfs and libusb. Here's a description:

Currently we use two methods for USB access:
- the facilities provided in the scanner.o module from the Linux kernel;
- LibUSB 0.1.4

The two methods are compiled with the backend and the user might choose
which one to use at runtime (via the configuration file).

The problem is, we can not use libusb when the module scanner.o is
loaded (libusb is unable to claim the interface).
And in SANE 1.0.7, something (probably sane_get_devices) triggers devfs
to load the scanner.o module, and so we are unable to use libusb.

Does anyone knows why (and knows how to fix this) ?

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/hp3300backend

Ricardo Martins