[sane-devel] Sane Question--umax_pp

Tim Waugh twaugh@redhat.com
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 12:02:59 +0000

--AA9g+nFNFPYNJKiL

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 12:38:39AM +0000, Timothy Johnson wrote:

> creating a ppdev character device.  I read somewhere that the ppdev=20
> module uses the parport, but I also seem to remember the documentation=20
> saying that a ppdev character device may need to be created in order to=
=20
> use the scanner as a regular user.  How does this fit together?

There was a bug in an earlier 2.4.x kernel that you might be running
into: is the parport_pc module also loaded?  If not you'll need to
load it.

ppdev is the device driver (kernel module) behind /dev/parport0; if
you don't have that you'll need to create it first with 'mknod
/dev/parport0 c 99 0'.  The ppdev device driver, in turn, uses the
parport subsystem, which is contained in the 'parport' kernel module.
That driver just provides port sharing and some common port
operations, leaving the actual mechanics of driving the port up to the
'parport_pc' kernel module (for PC-style ports).

For ppdev to provide port access to a non-root user, all three of the
above modules need to be loaded, and /dev/parport0 needs to exist and
be accessible (rw).

Tim.
*/

--AA9g+nFNFPYNJKiL