[sane-devel] 1394 and epson 2450 scanner

Dave W nospam_1@yahoo.com
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 12:12:13 -0500

I believe that this morning I finally got ieee1394 working on my box.
Now, finally, sane-find-scanner SEES something other than my cd-roms:

amd1400:/dev# sane-find-scanner
# Note that sane-find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
# to a SCSI bus and some scanners that are connected to the Universal
# Serial Bus (USB) depending on your OS. It will even find scanners
# that are not supported at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that
# is connected to a parallel or proprietary port.

sane-find-scanner: found SCSI processor "EPSON GT-9700 1.03" at device
/dev/scanner
sane-find-scanner: found SCSI processor "EPSON GT-9700 1.03" at device
/dev/sg2

/dev/scanner and /dev/sg2 are softlinked.  The problem is that it seems to
see SOMEthing there - a SCSI processor, if not a scanner - but scanimage
sees nothing:

amd1400:/dev# scanimage
scanimage: no SANE devices found

The rescan shell script shows:

amd1400:/dev# /home/aftech/rescan-scsi-bus.sh
Host adapter 0 (ide-scsi) found.
Host adapter 1 (sbp2) found.
Scanning for device 0 0 0 0 ...
OLD: Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: CD-R   PX-W8432T Rev: 1.07
      Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Scanning for device 0 0 1 0 ...
OLD: Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
      Vendor: HITACHI  Model: DVD-ROM GD-2500  Rev: 0101
      Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Scanning for device 1 0 0 0 ...
OLD: Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: EPSON    Model: GT-9700          Rev: 1.03
      Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 06
0 new device(s) found.
0 device(s) removed.

And last but not least, when I try telling sane what I have (I may be
doing this - and anything else - quite incorrectly!):

amd1400:/dev# scanimage -d epson:/dev/sg2
scanimage: open of device epson:/dev/sg2 failed: Invalid argument

...it fails too.

So, in short, I'm out of ideas here.  Perhaps the sane experts on the list
can see something obvious that I'm missing?

dave williamson