[sane-devel] Changes to the saned access control functions

Sun, 6 Jan 2002 22:14:46 +0100

Hi,

I have just committed a change to the access control function
check_host() of saned. Now the IP addresses of the host names in
saned.conf and of the remote host are compared, not the host names
itsself. This should avoid the problems with host names somethimes not
working depending on the configuration of /etc/hosts and hostname.

It's now possible to use

hostname
hostname.domain.com
  or
192.168.0.1

in saned.conf (if DNS/etc/hosts is set up correctly).

The code is from Petter Reinholdtsen. I have only fixed one small bug,
tried to make the code more IPv6 proof, and added more debug output.

Please test the saned/net configuration as hard as you can. There were
quite a lot of changes to saned and the net backend in the last two
weeks. Please also test on localhost because most of the race
conditions resulting in freezes only occured on localhost without
"real" networking. Please also test if the access control can somehow
be bypassed.

Also I would appreciate if somebody can have a look at the check_host
function, because this is the first time I looked into such networking
code.

I haved tried compilation on Irix, Solaris, AIX, Linux and *BSD. Maybe
someone can try OS/2?