[sane-devel] Observations whilst testing SaneTwain with Mustek 1200CP

jim.george@blueyonder.co.uk jim.george@blueyonder.co.uk
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:57:40 -0000

Hi,

        The following observations were made while testing Herman Kuipers'
santwain application with the Mustek_pp sane backend.  I hope they are of
use to the list.

        1) Although there is documentation related to the ports used by
saned, it is not prominent that saned uses 6566 AND other (seemingly)
random ports for the actual data processing.  This could be an issue for
those wishing to allow scanning through a firewall.  Is there a specified
number/range of ports? Could these be more prominently documented?

        2) When the client dies unexpectedly saned doesn't appear to handle
this correctly, especially when run through inetd.  I have tried both
documented options re-inetd.

        3) Sane appears to take up to 90% (sometimes more) of CPU
utilisation.  Although I suspect that this is an issue with the Mustek_PP
and the setup of my parallel port, as this was noticed when testing with
Eddy deGreef.  Could someone tell me what/how to change the parallel port
relateed to the ECP/EPP options?

        4) When I ran saned -d128 I couldn't detect my scanner when
executing scanimage -L.

Kind Regards

Jim George