[sane-devel] Observations whilst testing SaneTwain with Mustek 1200CP

Tue, 8 Jan 2002 00:45:30 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 05:57:40PM -0000, jim.george@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
>         1) Although there is documentation related to the ports used by
> saned, it is not prominent that saned uses 6566 AND other (seemingly)
> random ports for the actual data processing.  This could be an issue for
> those wishing to allow scanning through a firewall.  Is there a specified
> number/range of ports? Could these be more prominently documented?

I had only a quick look at this and it seems the ports are chosen
randomly by the operating system. saned creates the socket and
transmitts the port no to the net backend. I have added a TODO entry
for documenting this issue. Maybe we can find a nicer solution for
SANE 2.

>         2) When the client dies unexpectedly saned doesn't appear to handle
> this correctly, especially when run through inetd.  I have tried both
> documented options re-inetd.

Depends on what you mean by "dies unexpectedly". segfaults etc.
shouldn't happen in the backends (-->bug). Could you write what you
did and send a debug log (saned -d and maybe SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK_PP=255)?

>         4) When I ran saned -d128 I couldn't detect my scanner when
> executing scanimage -L.

Is this a problem of running it with -d or with the high debug level?
Do you run saned -s as root (probably necessary for PP scanners)?
Otherwise, a logfile would be nice.