[sane-devel] HP ScanJet 5470c

David Noelle David Noelle <noelle@acm.org>
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:53:00 -0500

Please forgive me if this is an inappropriate query for this forum.

I am investigating the possibility of using the Sane tools with an HP
ScanJet 5470c, running on a RedHat Linux 7.1 box.  Unless I am missing
something, it does not appear that either the current HP backend or
the current Avision backend can manage this device, but I lack
sufficient information to understand what modifications to these
backends might be necessary.  I don't even know the extent of SCL
support provided by this device, or if it is similar to the 5370, for
which, I am told, there is an ongoing backend development effort.  Any
guidance, in the form of advice or pointers to relevant informational
resources, would be appreciated.  (Note, however, that I have already
read and appreciated the several recent postings providing general
tips for getting started on a backend project.)

At this point, debugging output from Xsane, looks as follows:

   $ xsane
   [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of hp to 128.
   [hp] init called
   [hp] get_devices called
   [hp] hp_read_config: hp backend v0.88 starts reading config file
   [hp] hp_read_config: processing line <scsi HP>
   [hp] hp_read_config: processing line </dev/scanner>
   [hp] hp_read_config: attach scsi HP
   [hp] hp_read_config: processing line </dev/usb/scanner>
   [hp] hp_read_config: attach /dev/scanner
   [hp] hp_get_dev: New device /dev/scanner, connect-scsi, scsi-request=1
   [hp] scsi_new: open failed (Invalid argument)
   [hp] /dev/scanner: Can't open scsi device
   [hp] hp_read_config: processing line <option connect-device>
   [hp] hp_read_config: attach /dev/usb/scanner
   [hp] hp_get_dev: New device /dev/usb/scanner, connect-device, scsi-request=0
   [hp] scsi_flush: writing 2 bytes:
    0x0000  1B 45                                            .E
   [hp] hp_nonscsi_device_new: SCL reset failed
   [hp] scsi_close: closing fd 22
   [hp] exit called

It is clear from this output that "/dev/scanner" does not exist, but
"/dev/usb/scanner" is well recognized.  This is from an "hp.conf"
copied from the hp backend FAQ.  Similar output is produced in the
Avision case (i.e., initial inquiry fails).

I'd be grateful for any potentially relevant information on the
HP 5400 line.  Thanks!

-- David Noelle ---- Vanderbilt University, Computer Science ------
-- noelle@acm.org -- http://people.vanderbilt.edu/~david.noelle/ --