[sane-devel] Endian problem with net authorization

Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:39:09 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 06:12:42PM -0500, wls@astro.umd.edu wrote:
> The U of Maryland Dept of Astronomy has a Umax Astra 2400 scanner attached to
> a Sparc running Solaris 7.  The sane backend software is at version 1.0.6.
> The front end is xsane (0.83) running from a linux Intel PC (Mandrake 8.0 with
> sane also upgraded to version 1.0.6).

Do you have similar problems with other frontends (e.g. scanimage)?

> No patches have been applied.  When I
> request a preview scan the scan completes, then immediately an authorization
> request window pops up.

For which resource? Did you enable authorization for any backend?

> No matter what I type the authorization window appears
> and xsane immediately exits with "Broken Pipe" (I have never yet for the any
> version of sane, for the last several years I have been using sane, on any
> computer, been able to get that authorization window to work).

There have been at least two race conditions in saned and net which
have been fixed after the release of 1.0.6. One might affect
authorization. However, I don't think it can cause an authorization
request if it doesn't need authorization. But you never know.

The fixes are in SANE-CVS.

> If the front end host is another Sparc then the authorization window does not
> appear (within the limit of my patience to let the connection time out) and I
> can scan.

I don't think this is a byte order problem. The difference might come
from the different speeds of the computers. I could only observe the
above mentioned race conditions if the server was on the faster
machine (if I remeber correctly).

> I can send the output with SANE_DEBUG_NET=128 to whomever is interested.  Since
> it is about 1.3 Mb I really shouldn't send it to the list.

Please send it to me. I will try to find out if this is the same bug I
observed.

There is an unoffical snapshot of the latest CVS at
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/download/sane-cvs-2002-01-16.tar.gz