[sane-devel] Re: sane-gphoto2 problems with CanonPowerShote A10 and net.conf

Peter Fales psfales@lucent.com
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:27:16 -0600

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 03:12:21PM +0000, jim.george@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> 	I was successful in compiling gphoto2 support with sane (both latest cvs versions).  However I have had to unconfigure it for the following reasons.
>
> 	When I specify the device on the scanimage command line it reports
> 		[gphoto2] Camera does not support image capture

The latest SANE CVS should turn that into a warning instead of an error.

> 	If I don't have the camera turned on I get errors reported
> 		[gphoto2] ERROR: Bad parameters

The SANE backend is doing something that the gphoto2 API doesn't like.  Can
you try turning on debug (export GP_DEBUG=3 and/or SANE_DEBUG_GPHOTO2=127)
and see if it provides any clues.

> 	If I do have it on (the camera) and do not execute as root I get
> 		[gphoto2] ERROR: Could not claim the USB device

I don't have to run as root to use the camera.  I've explored two ways
of handling the permissions:

1) Currently, I've got a line in /etc/fstab:

   none            /proc/bus/usb   usbdevfs defaults,devmode=0666  1 1

   This gives 666 permissions to all the USB devices.  That might be a
   security problem for some people, but works OK on my system.

2) http://www.xena.uklinux.net/Linux/usb_perms.html is a daemon that
   will for devices appearing on the USB bus and give them appropriate
   permissions.  I believe it can be configured to do this only for the
   camera.

> 	Finally, and worst of all, if I attempt to access my scanner remotely gphoto2 reports the Bad Parameters error and then saned exits taking the dial-up
> connection with it!?

I can't think of any reason that saned would do this!  I wouldn't even know
how to write such code into saned, other than flat out killing the pppd
process)

Pete