[sane-devel] Question about backend translations

mh crapsite@gmx.net
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:06:37 +0100

Oliver Rauch, Montag, 21. Januar 2002 14:12:
> mh wrote:
> > Hi,
> > just a short question:
> > As far as I can see, the backend translation is merged with the saneopts
> > translation. Since this isn't necessary (a frontend could load two
> > translations, i.e.  sane-<backend>.mo and sane-opts.mo), I'd like to
> > know, whether there are any plans to change this. Or will it stay the way
> > it is (e.g. for compatibility with older xsane versions)?
>
> Do you know what it means to load two translation tables?
> The frontend does not know which translation table it has
> to use for an options, that will get really ugly.

When I load a translation file, I add a context too. Therefore backend
translations won't mess up e.g. the frontend translation. If there are two
equal backend translations, the one from the last file is used.
But that wasn't my problem. I just like to know, whether the translation
framework will stay the way it is, i.e. one translation file for every
backend/language, or whether I should expect changes.
While looking at the latest changes, I thought that something like splitting
the translation files *might* be planned (and since there's no public
discussion about those issues on the list, one can only guess).

Michael