[sane-devel] Tamarack 6000C slooow scanning

Andrei B. andrixnet@yahoo.com
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 23:09:42 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

 I already put this question when sane was at version 1.0.3
 Yesterday I upgraded to sane-1.0.6 and tried again.
 I have a Tamarack 6000C scanner (branded ESCOM, but sane-find-scanner
sees it as Tamarack) with a g_NCR5380 ISA SCSI card.
 As with previous versions of sane, the scanner works, but it works so
horribly slow that scanning a full A4 page at 300dpi greyscale takes
over an hour!!!
 The stepper motor moving the sensor cart moves about one step per
second instead of a continuos rapid succession of steps.

 Please advise me what can I do to improve scanning speed.

 Otherwise, system is much more stable then when scanning in windows
(where it takes about 3-5 minutes for a 3 pass 300dpi A4 full color
page). All functions work besides the speed.
 System is a Slackware 7.0 with 2.2.19 kernel. I checked and the SCSI
buffer is set at 128k. (found it in the docs).

=====
ing. Andrei Boros
Centrul pt. Tehnologia Informatiei
Societatea Romana de Radiodifuziune