[sane-devel] Trouble with Artec AM12S

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:51:18 +0100

Sylvain Petreolle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I remeber correct, a SCSI device must be powered on
> when the computer boots to be recognized, isn't it ?

No, that's not strictly necessary. The operating system of course must
know, which devices are attached to a SCSI bus, and during boot / driver
initialization, the SCSI bus is scanned for available devices. So it is
very convenient to have the devices powered on at boot time.

But you can manually tell most operating systems at a later time that a
new device became available. With Linux this done with

	echo "scsi add-single-device 1 2 4 0" > /prec/scsi/scsi

This tells the kernel that a new device is available on host adapter 1,
bus 2, SCSI ID 4, LUN 0. (In most cases, you will have 0 as the number
for host adapter and bus)

Abel