[sane-devel] beginning a backend

nathan rutman nathan@gordian.com
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:28:59 -0800

Hey gang, some general questions.

Since I'm still unemployed, I figured I'd go ahead and do a SANE backend
for my scanner (Canon CanonScan fb630u, USB).  I was kind of hoping I
could take an existing SANE USB backend and modify it for my purposes.

Right now, I've got a standalone scan utility that talks directly to the
usb device through the kernel usb scanner driver.
[ open("/dev/usb/scanner0", O_RDWR), read, write, and
ioctl(fd, SCANNER_IOCTL_CTRLMSG, &cmsg) ]

Looks like the existing Canon backend is SCSI only, and so wouldn't make
a very good model.  Is the "desired" way of doing this to use
the sanei_usb interface?  Is there a good example backend that uses
sanei_usb?  Or should I just work from the SANE spec directly and write
it from the ground up (and avoid needless cruftiness and abstraction
layers)?

--
nathan@gordian.com