[sane-devel] Tamarack 6000C slooow scanning

Andrei B. andrixnet@yahoo.com
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:06:58 -0800 (PST)

--- Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de> wrote:

> > A glance at the kernel source (g_NCR5380.c) tells a lot :
> > USLEEP_POLL = 1
> > USLEEP_SLEEP = 20
> > USLEEP_WAITLONG = 500 !!!!
> >
> > I'll try to play with them a bit.
>
> Be carefull. I had kenel lockups sometimes while playing with these
> values.

 I tried to play with these, first of all using the suggestion for
Mustek from the link you told me, then I played around with other
values as well, also I commeted out USLEEP.

 The results yielded a small increase in performance, but far from
satisfactory. Now the scanner sensor moves continuosly for some X cm
dependent on USLEEP_POLL and USLEEP_SLEEP, then waits a certain time,
longer (1.5-3 times longer) then the time it took for the motion.

 With the settings suggested for Mustek, it moves about 5cm first,
waits, the moves about 2 cm, waits again and repeat in 2cm increments.
 With USLEEP commented, the behaviour is similar.

 Playing around with these values I could only increse or decrease a
little the distance of one continous move, with a similar increase of
the waiting time.

 The machine was never dedicated completely to the scanner, not even
with USLEEP commented. I started xscanimage from a remote X server and
a ping in another window. It never lost packets. top command showed on
average >80% idle

 Overall, there is a slight improvement of speed (at least for the
preview), but still more the 3-4 times then under windows.
 Looks like I'm stuck with M$Win for using this scanner.

 Thanks for the suggestions.

=====
ing. Andrei Boros
Centrul pt. Tehnologia Informatiei