[sane-devel] Film holder control (and adf)

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:12:30 +0000

> "Film scanner" would be more accurate in my opinion, because these
> devices usually can handle slides, negative strips, and spooled film.
>
> Is there a film scanner with automated frame selection? On the ones I
> know you have to manually position a tab on the film strip holder.

Yes: all newer Coolscans, for example, have a motorized film strip
loader which can position a strip of film at any frame, as told by the
software, and an optional APS loader which can (by definition) select
any frame as well. Furthermore, there is an option for the "Super
Coolscan" series which can scan up to 50 mounted slides. I think this
one doesn't have absolute positioning, but software can load and
unload the current slide (which will automatically make it skip to the
next one).

So there can be two different types of "frame selection" within the
same scanner.

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net