[sane-devel] Canon N670U

Siegfried Löffler siegfried.loeffler@gmx.net
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:06:34 +0100

--------------4593554BF35A015A23D6C36A

Hi,

as the LM9833 chip used in the N670U should be backward compatible
to the LM9832/1 in the plustek backend, in theory it should not be
a big deal to make the N670U work.

However, in practice I did not manage it yet.

What I did so far:

I tried to find out the parametrs for the N670U by

a) reading the NS LM9833 datasheet, available on the National Semiconductor
Website
    as well as some useful information on http://connect.to/merlin/
       (information on the former versions of the LM9833 as well as source code)

    and the URL mentioned by Gerhard Jaeger
        http://scanjet2200c.sourceforge.net/ns-twain/

b) looking intensively at a trace made under Windows, using "USB Snoopy".

In particular, I tried to make an entry in the plustek-devs.c based on the
parameters seen in the USB Snoopy Log File. But: Despite some small progress
(in the beginning, I always ended up stalled with an error when trying to read
register 7) I do not suceed to switch on lamp or motor of the scanner yet.

I also tried to run the driver on scanjet2200c.sourceforge under Windows, but
strange enough, I did not succeed to make that one work neither. (I get an
error that register 0x07 can not be read). So now I somehow wonder whether
there could be something particular inside the N670U. However, I do not dare
to open the device. Maybe somebody had opened it and could help by describing
what else (besides the LM9833) is on the mainboard?

As I am currently quite busy with other stuff, I am afraid it might take
some time until I will be able to continue the tidious research studying
the USB Snoopy logfiles...

Siegfried
--
Siegfried Loeffler    http://home.pages.de/~dg1sek
16, Rue du Lunain     mailto:loeffler at cdi.fr
75014 Paris           +33 1 45 43 33 36
--------------4593554BF35A015A23D6C36A

begin:vcard
n:Loeffler;Siegfried
tel;cell:+33 6 08 45 30 00
tel;home:+33 1 45 43 33 36
tel;work:+33 1 40 76 16 58
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://home.pages.de/~dg1sek
version:2.1
email;internet:fl@LF.net
adr;quoted-printable:;;16, rue du Lunain=0D=0A;Paris;;75014;France
note;quoted-printable:Solution Manager=0D=0AAlcatel=0D=0A54 rue La Boetie=0D=0A75008 Paris=0D=0A
x-mozilla-cpt:;-29952
fn:Siegfried Loeffler
end:vcard

--------------4593554BF35A015A23D6C36A--