[sane-devel] Re: adding support for additional lm983x based scanners - Re: Canon N670U

Jaeger, Gerhard g.jaeger@earthling.net
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:08:38 +0100

Hi there,

in the meantime, I've tried to find out the major differences
between the Plustek-code and the National stuff!

Plustek makes some assuptions that are correctly for their
devices, but may not apply to those of other manufacturers.

There are currently some topics identified yet:
- The Plustek code does not support any CIS sensors (CANON)
- Plustek specific code has to be identified and disabled by flags or so
- Plustek uses only the green channel to get gray-scale pictures
- Lamps connected to Misc I/O pins are not really supported

Well, I'm currently working on that and I'd like to expand the
current code by the stuff that National suggests.
I can understand, that it might be easier to use the USB-snoopy
logs, than to roam through the Plustek and/or National code,
but if we'd like to support a great variety of devices, we should
work together and create something like National has done
to support almost all LM983x based devices simply by adding
a new device entry or by even creating an ini file.

Plustek List: I think for this discussion, we should go to the
SANE list...

Gerhard