[sane-devel] UGEN

Wed, 3 Jul 2002 22:13:26 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 03:05:49PM -0400, Kip Iles wrote:
> Has anyone in this list worked at all with Ugen.

Probably not.

> I am currently working with a Solaris 9 (on a Sparc SunFire V100)
> Ugen driver and have written an application to obtain basic
> information from the USB device (device and interface descriptors).

Maybe you can ask on the libusb developers list if they add support
for Solaris? I guess the Solaris ugen driver isn't that different from the
BSD's drivers which are already supported by libusb.

http://libusb.sourceforge.net/

If they don't want to, maybe you can get at least some hints on how to
access USB devices by looking at the BSD-specific code in libusb.

> I hope to be able to add Ugen support to the Epson
> backend and was just wondering if anyone had a head start on me. I found no
> information about Ugen in the list archives or from searching the current
> backend source.

I have just updated the sanei_usb USB access code to also support
libusb. So SANE can access scanners either via libusb or Linux-like
scanner drivers. The latter one won't help much, because that kernel
driver does all the work like selecting configurations, interfaces,
and endpoints and attaches the bulk-in and bulk-out endpoint to one
file.

> Who do I need to coordinate with in regards to modifying the epson backend?

The maintainer of the epson backend is Karl Heinz Kremer <khk@khk.net>.

Personally, I would prefer if you (or somebody else) rewrites the
epson backend to use sanei_usb. Currently the epson code uses direct
access to the linux kernel driver.

If you would add your code for ugen to sanei_usb, the epson code would
stay much cleaner and every other USB backend could be used on
Solaris. If you could add your code to libusb, even other USb
applications could use it.

But as mentioned, that's only my personal opinion. It's up to Karl
Heinz what to do with the epson backend.