[sane-devel] build error with new gettext on OS/2

Fri, 5 Jul 2002 11:06:43 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 03:19:16AM +0200, Franz Bakan wrote:
> Hi,
> after upgrading gettext to version 0.11.2
>
> I get the following error while building the files in po:

> lang=de ; \
>  echo generating epson.de.mo from epson.de.po and saneopts.${lang}.po ; \
>  msgfmt -o epson.de.mo epson.de.po saneopts.${lang}.po
> generating epson.de.mo from epson.de.po and saneopts.de.po
> saneopts.de.po:4: duplicate message definition
> epson.de.po:6: ...this is the location of the first definition
> msgfmt: found 1 fatal error
> gmake: *** [epson.de.mo] Error 1
>
> Is this a problem of SANE or the new msgfmt?

Both :-) Older msgfmts complained only in warning mode, newer ones
seem to bail out even without any option.

It complains about the empty message "", which includes the header
information like "Project-Id-Version". That message is in both the
backend translation file and the more general saneopts.?.po. If I
remove it from one file, it will be automatically regenerated...

I have no idea how to merge the two files without dirty tricks. Maybe
someone has a sed script to remove the first message from
saneopts.?.po?

Anyone familiar with gettext?