[sane-devel] New program for generating HTML lists from backend description files

Sat, 6 Jul 2002 12:21:27 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 11:17:52PM +0200, Marcel Pol wrote:
> In the list of backends I'd rather see 2 lines.
> I'm using Galeon on a 1024x768 screen, and for most backends it looks like:
> abaton (v0.1,
> alpha)
>
> I would rather see it then like:
> abaton
> (v0.1, alpha)
>
> I assume a <br> tag would make this possible.
> It's just nit-picking though.

Ok.

> And the "beta" color is colored in a way that it doesn't show very much.
> Maybe make it a color like purple?

I guess the idea was to use red/yellow/green, but at least pure yellow
can't be read good on white background. That's why the colors have
some black mixed into them.

Here are the two pages with the colors changed and the <br>:

http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/tmp/sane-backends-1.html
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/tmp/sane-backends-mfg-1.html

I have also horzontally centered most entries. I think for backend,
manpage, manufacturer and interface that's ok. I'm not that sure about
model.

> > 3) Which one of the two HTML formats should be used for the SANE page?
>
> I like the first one, sorted by backend.
> It's easier readable, if you know what you are looking for, like the url of
> the backend website.
> Make the page sorted by manufacturer optional.

The idea for the page sorted by manufacturer is to find out, if a
given device is supported by SANE. Usually you have the manufacturer
and the model name. Ok, it's possible to search the backend list, but
a manufacturer/model list would be easier for this task in my opinion.
If both lists stay in sync, nothing prevents us from using both on the
website.

Maybe the manufacturer list is easier to read if it looks like this?

Scanners
  Manufacturer name
  links
  comment