[sane-devel] New program for generating HTML lists from backend description files

Marcel Pol mpol@gmx.net
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 16:32:40 +0200

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 12:21:27 +0200
Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 11:17:52PM +0200, Marcel Pol wrote:
> > In the list of backends I'd rather see 2 lines.
> > I'm using Galeon on a 1024x768 screen, and for most backends it looks
> > like: abaton (v0.1,
> > alpha)
> >
> > I would rather see it then like:
> > abaton
> > (v0.1, alpha)
> >
> > I assume a <br> tag would make this possible.
> > It's just nit-picking though.
>
> Ok.

I like it more this way.

> > And the "beta" color is colored in a way that it doesn't show very much.
> > Maybe make it a color like purple?
>
> I guess the idea was to use red/yellow/green, but at least pure yellow
> can't be read good on white background. That's why the colors have
> some black mixed into them.

Ok.
The purple isn't much better then the odd yellow, is it?

> http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/tmp/sane-backends-1.html
> http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/tmp/sane-backends-mfg-1.html
>
> I have also horzontally centered most entries. I think for backend,
> manpage, manufacturer and interface that's ok. I'm not that sure about
> model.

Yes, I like it that way.

> > > 3) Which one of the two HTML formats should be used for the SANE page?
> >
> > I like the first one, sorted by backend.
> > It's easier readable, if you know what you are looking for, like the url
> > of the backend website.
> > Make the page sorted by manufacturer optional.
>
> The idea for the page sorted by manufacturer is to find out, if a
> given device is supported by SANE. Usually you have the manufacturer
> and the model name. Ok, it's possible to search the backend list, but
> a manufacturer/model list would be easier for this task in my opinion.
> If both lists stay in sync, nothing prevents us from using both on the
> website.
>
> Maybe the manufacturer list is easier to read if it looks like this?
>
> Scanners
>   Manufacturer name
>   links
>   comment
>     model interface comment backend manpage
>     model interface comment backend manpage
>     model interface comment backend manpage
>
>   Manufacturer name

I'm not really sure what you mean here.
You mean the page is then "less table"?
The way it is now, half of the space is filled with the table itself.
It might be less overwhelming then.

--
Marcel Pol

Linux 2.4.18-20mdksmp, up 6 days, 21:41