[sane-devel] New program for generating HTML lists from backend description files

Sat, 6 Jul 2002 23:47:40 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 12:34:25PM -0500, Frank Zago wrote:
> >Scanners
> >  Manufacturer name
> >  links
> >  comment
> >    model interface comment backend manpage
> >    model interface comment backend manpage
> >    model interface comment backend manpage
> >
> >  Manufacturer name
> >  [...]
>
> Yes.
> Is it possible to add links to the manufacturers in the top of the list for
> an easier access?

Ok, here is an example for what I was talking about:
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/tmp/sane-backends-mfg-3.html

The links are displayed as a simple list. Also a manufacurer comment
is displayed (when available).

> Also in that page, the status of the support of each scanner could be used
> instead of the status of their backend. The reason is that a backend might
> support very well a scanner, but have a lesser support for another.
>
> The status for a scanner support would be alpha, beta, stable, untested
> (ie. support is there but untested) and maybe (ie. it is possible that this
> backend can support that scanner.)

I wouln't distinguish between the last two (maybe is also untested).
If it's rather unlikely that it works, there is still the model's
comment field. The comment field can also be used for things like "TPU
supported, ADF not".

Addidng this field requires quite a lot of additions to the .desc
files. What to do with the files not updated by the (not existing?)
maintainers? Some may be guessed by us from the manpages or comments.
So maybe another value "unknown", when there is no information in the
.desc file? Or just let the entry in the table empty?

Or use the status of the backend in this case?