[sane-devel] Problems found in backends description files (.desc)

Mon, 8 Jul 2002 22:47:32 +0200

Hi,

While testing the HTML generator sane-desc.c, quite some problems with
existing .desc files have been detected. Also, the new status per
model may require some changes or updates. E.g. it doesn't make sense
to mark a scanner as "stable" if the comment is "not supported yet".
Usually I don't recommend to list unsupported devices at all, because
that may confuse users, especially when reading the manufacurers list
("Hey, one entry says "supported", the other "not supported". What's
that?"). If it's necessary to add unsupported scanners, please use
:status :unsupported for them. Also please use :status :untested if
you (or someone else) couldn't test a device.

For reference, here are links to the lists:
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/tmp/sane-backends-7.html
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/tmp/sane-backends-mfg-7.html

There are also some spelling differences concerning manufacturers.
Please contact the maintainers of the other backends to agree on one
spelling.

Genius, KYE-Genius (umax, plustek)
Vobis, Vobis/Highscreen (microtek2, umax)
Hewlett-Packard, HP (plustek, umax_pp, avision, hp, hpsj5s)

These are the problems (or just possible enhancements) I found. Don't
beat me if I'm wrong anywhere, we have quite a lot of backends
nowerdays :-)

abaton:   everex URL doesn't work? (directory listing not allowed)
artec:    at6 should be status :untested, "parallel port" and "USB" should be
          removed or marked as :unsupported by this backend
bh:       use status :untested for the untested scanners. The comment should
          be for the backend, not the manufacturer
canon630u:The backend status must be :alpha, :beta: or :stable, not :new
          anymore.
coolscan2:LS 400 ED should be status :untested. LS-200 only mentioned in
          manpage?
dmc:      DMC link: connection refused.
epson:    If the support for the FilmScan 200 isn't that good, maybe its
          status should be beta or alpha
gphoto2:  Don't use :interface for non-hardware devices.
hpsj5s:   The backend status must be :alpha, :beta: or :stable, not :new
          anymore. Use ":new :yes" instead as the backend is ineed new.
leo:      The backend status must be :alpha, :beta: or :stable, not :new
          anymore.
matsushita:
          All the untested scanners should use status :untested.
microtek: Scanmaker 600Z(S) should have status :untested.
mustek_pp:Not working scanners should be removed or marked :unsupported.
nec:      Not working scanners should be removed or marked :unsupported.
pie:      Unsupported scanners should be removed or marked :unsupported.
          Untested scanners should be marked with status :untested.
plustek:  Not working scanners should be removed or marked :unsupported.
          Untested scanners should be marked with status :untested.
sharp:    Maybe add JX-325 as :untested (from manpage)?
sm3600:   Add a slash after the microtek URL to avoid creating
          duplicate links in the manufacturers listing.
snapscan: benq and Guillemot url is missing a "http://". Untested scanners
          should be marked with status :untested.
teco1:    The backend status must be :alpha, :beta: or :stable, not :new
          anymore.
umax:     Linotype Hell link refuses connect.  http://support.umax.com/ and
          http://www.umaxweb.com.tw/ not found in DNS.
          Not working scanners should be removed or marked :unsupported.. Untested
	  scanners should be marked with status :untested.
umax1220u:Not working scanners should be removed or marked :unsupported.
umax_pp:  Not working scanners should be removed or marked :unsupported.