[sane-devel] [hpoj-devel] detecting sane-backends lib and etc directories

David Paschal paschal@rcsis.com
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 03:22:51 -0700

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> I haven't looked at the actual code but the summary looks fine for me.
> A bit paranoic, maybe :-)
Considering how many bug reports I've gotten over the last two years as
hpoj maintainer due to interactions with external software and various
distributions, I've found it pays to be paranoid like this.  :-)

> > This is for installing the external
> > "hpoj" backend (http://hpoj.sourceforge.net), by setting a symlink from
> > .../lib/sane/libsane-hpoj.so.1 to where libsane-hpoj.so* is really
> > installed, and appending the line "hpoj" to dll.conf if necessary.
>
> Be careful with the naming scheme. I don't know, if libsane-hpoj.so.1
> (especially the .1) works on every non-Linux platform.
What would you suggest as a more portable alternative?  libtool?
Currently the hpoj project only supports Linux and FreeBSD, and I
haven't had any problems with this on either of those platforms
(yet, anyway:-), but I'm open to better suggestions.

Thanks,
David