[sane-devel] Current TODO list

Oliver Rauch oliver.rauch@rauch-domain.de
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 00:15:26 +0200

Henning Meier-Geinitz schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 09:36:13PM +0200, Oliver Rauch wrote:
> > Henning Meier-Geinitz schrieb:
> >
> > >   * scanimage: Add i18n (NLS) support?
> >
> > Please let's NOT do this.
>
> I'm not interested anyway. If I remeber correctly, this was either a
> developer or user request one day.
>
> > This really will get ugly.
>
> Just out of curiosity: Why?

1) There is no good UTF-8/multiple byte encoding support on
terminal level, there is only a limited support for UTF8 in
xterm, other terminals do not support UTF8 at all.

2) We have to decide what is translated:
- when the option names are not translated then we get a mixture
  of english options with translated explainations
- when the option names are translated then nothing will work
  like expected.

I do not see any advantage of a translation in scanimage.
When a GUI uses scanimage then the GUI should do the translation.
When a user uses scanimage on the command line then the user
should be able to use the english texts.

We get much more trouble than we win when we add translations to scanimage.

Bye
Oliver

--
Homepage:	http://www.rauch-domain.de