[sane-devel] Acer/BenQ 3300u with Redhat 7.2

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz@gmx.de
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:49:01 +0200

Hi,

> Can anyone help me to configure the following for Redhat 7.2 ?
>
> A Benq/Acer 3300 u (USB scanner)
>
> I deleted an earlier sane and installed backend and frontends 1.0.8
> I didn't install Xsane yet.

Good. Installing XSane should do no harm, though.

> I can't get sane-find-scanner to find anything
> Same problem with scanimage -L
> I've tried a lot of things
>
> What should I check? Please list as many as possible.

I guess you already found the documentation on http://snapscan.sourceforge.net
- it should point you in the right direction.

> I can insttall ausb module using insmod scanner and get :
>
> [root@localhost root]# insmod scanner
> Using /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/usb/scanner.o

You have to specify the vendor and product ID while loading the scanner. Try
"modprobe scanner vendor=0x04a5 product=0x20de". Then run "cat
/proc/bus/usb/devices" and check that you see "Driver=usbscanner" in the
entry for the scanner. Then try "scanimage -L" again.

> I have detected a uhci based controller but think more configuration may be
> needed here.

There's nothing you can configure for the controller. You only have to make
sure that an appropriate driver module ("uhci" or "usb-uhci") is loaded.

> Should I use dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/usb/scanner0  ?? Does it matter?

Yes - You should use /dev/usb/scanner0. I guess /dev/ttyUSB0 won't work (but
it never crossed my mind to try it).

Regards,

Oliver