[sane-devel] few newbie questions/problems

Sun, 9 Jun 2002 22:11:00 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 08:18:07PM +0200, steve wrote:
> He's right.

In which of his several questions and statements do you think he is
right?

> I put up an unofficiial howto last year which worked but got loads
> of flack from the list as 'that that's not the way we should do it' sort of
> stuff.

Oh, your contribution was appreciated at least by me (and I said
that). And I gave quite some comments on your text which you seem to
have accepted (at least you wanted to include my comments).

I can't check your Howto again, because the URL
(http://www.arrakis.es/~fsanta/sane/howto.html) seems to no longer
exist. Is there a new one?

By the way: The installation instruction for SANE is in the .tar.gz
file, not on the web page. Maybe this was the information the original
authors couldn't find?

> With vuescan working out of the box for most scanners for $40. . .
> Well.

No problem with that. I even point to vuescan when I'm asked about
scanners not supported by SANE. However, you have the usual
closed-source problems with vuescan.

By the way, parallel port scanners are completely unsupported by
vuescan. Maybe that's why the supported scanners work out-of-the-box?
They do with SANE also, don't they?