[sane-devel] Default path for USB device .conf files

Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:51:49 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 11:29:17AM +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
> Is there any good reason not to use (for example) '/dev/usb/scanner0'
> instead of '/dev/usbscanner0' in the various SANE .conf files?

Usage seems to vary between distributions, at least when I started
writing sane_usb, users used both types.  Even the Linux kernel
documentation isn't sure about the correct place. devices.txt says
"/dev/usb/scanner*" while usb/scanner.txt lists "/dev/usbscanner*".

sane-find-scanner and sanei_usb.c use both file names to be on the
safe side.

The config files that use only /dev/usbscanner* are: coolscan2.conf,
plustek.conf, umax.conf. Other backends use either /dev/usb/scanner*
or both. For backends that use auto-configuration, that shouldn't
matter too much.

Is /dev/usb/scanner* the right one? Do all distributions follow
this standard?