[sane-devel] unknown vendor using ls-40 with freebsd

James Beard j.beard@lexicon.net
23 Jun 2002 12:57:01 +1000

Thanks Henning.

> > sane-find-scanner
> > -----------------
> > sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at
> > device /dev/uscanner
> > sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at
> > device /dev/uscanner0
>
> Now the open succeeded which means there is some sort of driver that
> answers to /dev/uscanner0. Hopefully it's the uscanner driver :-)
>
> The vendor and device ids can't be detected under FreeBSD because (as
> far as I know) the uscanner driver doesn't provide this facility.
> There might be workarounds, however (patches welcome).
>
> So everything is ok.

The *one* time I choose to be cautious and not just have a go, it turns
out that it would have been fine :)

> > Some progress, but I'm out of leads.  Any ideas on what I should try
> > next?
>
> As automatic configuration doesn't work with FreeBSD, you must edit
> the config file (I guess /usr/local/etc/sane.d/coolscan2.conf in your
> case). Probably a line like "usb:/dev/uscanner" will work, but I don't
> own any Nikon scanners.

For the record, another problem I had was when using scanimage.  I had
the device name as "coolscan2:/dev/uscanner" instead of
"coolscan2:usb:/dev/uscanner".

It all seems to be working fine now.  All that remains is to learn how
to turn it into a positive.

Cheers
James