[sane-devel] New Backend newbie question

Mon, 4 Mar 2002 21:51:23 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 03:53:44PM -0800, Steven Ellis wrote:
> The http://www.littlecms.com/iphoto/otlinux.htm has
> the patches for the E4 based scanners, which included
> a whole batch of code for the Windows drivers that
> kwlee acquired from some unspecified source.
>
> This is a generation newer than my scanner so I
> contacted kwlee and got the source for the E3 scanners
> to integrate. At this point I continued the
> development which can be found at
> http://website.lineone.net/~dvnix/scanner
>
> I am more than happy to GPL my modifications, but none
> of the scanner manufacturers will talk to me about
> licencing the source code.
>
> My scanner is from Genius, and their webpage points
> back at my driver :->
>
> I haven't heard back from Visoneer or Primax.

If you are sure that the one who who is the copyright holder of the
original code isn't against GPLing the code, you can put the GPL into
each of your files. However, I won't include it in CVS without
clarification from the orginal authors. Maybe one of the other SANE
developers feels otherwise and committs them to CVS.

> One other issue is the driver requires some
> modifications to scanner.c/h which may now be
> redundant. Can anyone help me out here.

The latest scanner drivers can send control messages, this stuff is
even in sanei_usb (see
http://sanei.meier-geinitz.de/sanei__usb_8h.html#a7).

I don't know what about the other changes.