[sane-devel] new SANE hpoj backend

Mon, 4 Mar 2002 22:09:21 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 03:22:55AM -0800, David Paschal wrote:
> Would somebody please check into SANE CVS the attached hpoj.desc file,
> which has linkages to my project page?  I ran it through the sane-desc.el
> converter to make sure it looks OK in HTML format.

Could you add a version number in brackets like "(0.12)"? This is the
usual way to make clear that the backend is nor included in the SANE
distribution. Wouldn't it be better to add the names of all currently
supported scanners as it was done in the hp backend? Quite some users
just search for their Scanners name and may not find it easily (or
doen't even know that it's a "multifunction pheriphal").

> Also, the link to the hpoj project on the SANE "Related Projects"
> page can now be moved to a different category from "not SANE
> compliant".  :-)

That's a job for Oliver :-)

> On a related topic as a follow-up to the recent discussion on adding new
> device types to the SANE standard, the hpoj backend supports a wide
> variety of devices with different ADF/flatbed capabilities: flatbed_only,
> scrollfed_only, flatbed+ADF, and flatbed+scrollfed_ADF.  Currently the
> SANE standard specifies "flatbed scanner" and "sheetfed scanner" (among
> others).  Would it be acceptable for me to use a more generic string such
> as "multi-function peripheral" or "all-in-one" so I don't have to return
> a different string based on the device's ADF/flatbed capabilities?
> That would also make sense because I will likely add fax-receive support
> to a future version of the hpoj backend.  (I apologize for not bringing
> this up earlier when Henning was soliciting input on this matter.)

Maybe something like "other scanner" (because it's definitely not a
camera or virtual device? Is there an Englisg expression for a scanner
that can use different sources? "multi-function peripheral" or
"all-in-one" sounds a bit too generic for me. Hm, "generic scanner"?