[sane-devel] Re: new SANE hpoj backend

Mon, 4 Mar 2002 23:42:44 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:23:51PM +0100, Michael Piotrowski wrote:
> As a linguist ;-) I think "multi-function peripheral" isn't a bad
> term.  A "generic scanner" is a _scanner_, but a "multi-function
> peripheral" is (in _this_ context) a device that is not only a scanner
> but also has other functions.

The background of my comments is that a frontend may decide to check
the device type for e.g. "scanner" or "camera" to change its
functions. I don't think that any frontend currently does this, but it
would be possible.

In principle I have no preference concerning this.

So is anybody against a new type "multi-function peripheral"?